(This) Man's Best Friend

(This) Man's Best Friend
The Mighty Titan 2003-2011

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Out of the blue.......and pinstripes


Today I received one of the best, surprise gifts I have ever received. My close friend handed me a framed autographed photo of Yogi Berra in action. It is a certified and verified authentic piece of history. Now as many of you know, I am a born and raised New York Yankees fan, from day one. As a kid, my favorite numbers were 7, 8, and 9. They were Mantle, Berra, and Maris. These guys were my idols, especially Mickey Mantle. Arguably though, the backbone of those era Yankees had been Yogi Berra.

But what really got me excited about this autographed photo was who Berra was tagging out at home plate. It was Jackie Robinson. For those who don't know who he was, Jackie was the first African-American baseball player to play in major league baseball, with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947. He holds great meaning to me as he was THE first baseball player I ever met. I believe it was at Coney Island in 1955, where my father introduced me to this big, tall, black, uniformed ball player, whose hand totally engulfed mine as he smiled brightly at me and said hello. He made a tremendous impression on me, that I will never forget.

Now you have to understand how hard this must have been for my friend to purchase this item. The last team, and I mean the LAST team he would want anything to do with is the New York Yankees. He bleeds red, not blue. Now Ted Williams, that would be a different story. He probably would pull the shirt over someone like a hockey jersey and beat the crap out of them, just to purchase a significant Williams piece. But Yogi Berra? I could almost feel the bile rising in his throat as he bid on the picture. I wonder if he wrapped it in a large brown paper bag, drove his car around the back of the building, so no one would see him with a Yankee's photo. I wouldn't doubt it.

So what does this tell you?

Two of the most important sports figures I grew up admiring, on an autographed photo, he gave to me for no reason.

True friendship? I'd say so.

That's why where ever he goes, whatever he needs, he can rely on me to be there. For him, and his family.

Thanks buddy.

PS. "Baseball is ninety percent mental, and the other half physical."

PPS. Hi Mom.
UA-15499293-1

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog.. Must be a really good friend.. And yes the bile did rise up in my throat but I thought you would like it. Enjoy it man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching story. I admire your friendship. Your childhood experience...wow, great father-son memory!

    ReplyDelete