(This) Man's Best Friend

(This) Man's Best Friend
The Mighty Titan 2003-2011

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Runner's high, runner's low


Almost everyone has heard of, or has experienced, a runner's high. But if you are an avid runner, you will eventually get to experience the low too.

Most lows come disguised as injuries. They can be slow growing chronic maladies, such as shin splints, plantar fasciitis, or bursitis. Immediate ones, can be twisted ankles, pulled hamstrings, or burning lungs.

In my case, herniated discs in the lower back. To be honest, it's over a 20 year old injury. So I'd say it's been slow and steady.

As I had been building my mileage up (to 16 miles in a single run), preparing myself for half marathons (accomplished), and eventually a full marathon, a simple move or twist, jacks my back up. So much so, injections were needed, twice already. Every time I hit the pavement for a longer run, after a couple of weeks return, the back has talked back. Actually, it screamed at me.

To make matters worse, I am signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon this fall. But it's not looking real good.........at all.

This is my runner's low. Mentally, and physically.

I plan on healing up, again, and pounding the pavement in the next month or so. But I may be relegated to lower mileage runs and races. This is something I just may have to accept.

But I say congratulations to all of those who accomplished the ultimate; the qualification for the Boston Marathon. Have a wonderful race this Monday, Patriot's Day, in Boston.

Now that is a runner's high.
UA-15499293-1

No comments:

Post a Comment